Below we have compiled the ultimate list of the best Gregg Popovich quotes that cover a wide variety of topics including his philosophy on coaching, managing players, and building teamwork. Be sure to read this post all the way to the end, because there is a video we’ve added at the end of this post that shares his unique coaching philosophy.
Although he comes off as being one of the most blunt coaches during interviews, San Antonio Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich is a man that has a big heart and believes in the game of basketball. Just like a lot of elite coaches in basketball, “Pop” also has a philosophical side as well. However, Gregg Popovich’s coaching philosophy is what makes him unique. And, it’s what makes him one of the greatest coaches in professional basketball history.
We’ve also thrown in a couple of quirky Gregg Popovich quotes that will make you chuckle and scratch your head – all for your viewing pleasure. You don’t have to be a fan or coach of basketball to like these quotes. They apply to coaches of all sports.
Take these quotes, share them with your players and share them with your circle so that you can spread the philosophy of the great San Antonio Spurs coach, and one of the greatest coaches in NBA history, to the next generation of coaches and athletes.
The 23 Best Gregg Popovich Quotes On Coaching and Teamwork
23. “It’s not about any one person. You’ve got to get over yourself and realize that it takes a group to get this thing done” – Gregg Popovich
22. “We believe in people executing their role and caring about the team more than anything individually.” – Gregg Popovich
21. “This is the deepest team we’ve had talent-wise. What I am hoping is that it ends up being the deepest team we’ve had knowledge-wise – professionalism, basketball IQ.” – Gregg Popovich
20. “Stop by stop by stop. Play aggressively. Sprint back on ‘D’ and pay attention to how we’re supposed to guard as a team” – Gregg Popovich
19. “Basketball is a game of mistakes.” – Gregg Popovich
18. “I’m not one to blow smoke at my players. They kicked our butts on the offensive boards. And it’s not just because the ball came their way.” – Gregg Popovich
17. “You just can’t bring the juice for only 48 minutes. It shows in the discipline on the court and the execution on the court.” – Gregg Popovich
16. “We didn’t send mariachi bands or birthday cards or breakfast in bed.” – Gregg Popovich
'It's never been my goal to be king of the prom. It's been my goal to do the right things and get the job done.' - Gregg PopovichClick To Tweet
14. “We suck on ‘D. Both individually and team-wise, we suck. We’re pretty consistent that way. I don’t know if I have an answer to that. If I did, we wouldn’t suck quite so bad.” – Gregg Popovich
13. “That’s the least of what we worry about. We’ve got a lot of things to be concerned with on our own team, and that’s how we spend our time.” – Gregg Popovich
12. “It was fun to be able to come back and spend time in the film room, showing ’em time after time how those big guys just kicked our butts. It was a great learning experience and gave us some fuel for the long run.” – Gregg Popovich
11. “They don’t get down, they just keep plugging away. And that’s huge. It’s a mental toughness. They are figuring it out.” – Gregg Popovich
The Top 10 Gregg Popovich Quotes Of All Time On Coaching
“I think mostly the system is about consistency. Our system, more than anything, is just persistent and consistent with a defensive emphasis.” – Gregg Popovich
“If we can come out every practice and every game, learning something that we did well or that we did poorly, we can go from there.” – Gregg Popovich
“We don’t talk about how many games we’re going to win, winning a division, winning a championship, none of that stuff. No goals, none like that. Our goal is to get better every day, to practice every day, to treat the game with respect.” – Gregg Popovich
“Our goal is to win a championship, and all of us will sacrifice something to get that done.” – Gregg Popovich
“The older you get the more you try to appreciate what you’ve accomplished.” – Gregg Popovich
“Basketball is a pretty simple game. What wins is consistency and competitiveness.” – Gregg Popovich
“The measure of who we are is how we react to something that doesn’t go our way.” – Gregg Popovich
“‘Play the right way’ means play unselfishly, respect each other’s achievements, play hard, fulfill your role” – Gregg Popovich
“No one is bigger than the team. If you can’t do things our way, you’re not getting time here and we don’t care who you are.” – Gregg Popovich
“For us, the thing that works best is total, brutal, between-the-eyes honesty. I never try to trick a player or manipulate them, tell them something that I’m going to have to change next week.” – Gregg Popovich
Gregg Popovich’s Coaching Philosophy
If you liked our list of the Best Gregg Popovich Quotes available on proper coaching and teamwork, then you will absolutely love the video below on Popovich’s coaching philosophy. It’s full of some tidbit that touch on what he expects from his players when it comes to implementing their system. There’s also a ton of philosophical points in here that any coach can apply to help build their team’s identity. It doesn’t matter if you coach hockey, soccer, football, baseball, or cricket – There’s timeless advice in this video that will inspire you to build on your coaching philosophy.