Here’s a list of 30 motivational Jon Gruden quotes that will inspire you to take leadership in your own life and work your tail off to become a winner.
Jon Gruden is a professional football coach in the NFL for the Oakland Raiders. He’s also a professional when it comes to his off-the-wall, world famous one-liners. He’s also one of the most passionate and enthusiastic coaches in the sport of football that cares deeply about the game and his players. In tribute to him, we decided to create a list of the most thought provoking, blunt and motivational John Gruden quotes that will bring you some perspective on what it takes to be successful as an athlete and a coach.
Check These Out: The 100 Greatest Motivational Quotes from Athletes and Coaches
On top of his famous one liners, Gruden is also famous for his in-your-face coaching mentality and relentless work ethic. The dedication that he has to coaching is what has earned him the label of one of the hardest working coaches in professional sports.
Jon Gruden’s Coaching Career
A native of Sandusky, Ohio, Gruden started out his coaching career at the University of Tennessee in 1986. From there, he would coach at Southeast Missouri State and Pacific before breaking into the NFL as an Offensive Assistant for the San Francisco 49ers in 1990 under Mike Holmgren.
Jon Gruden then continued to work his way up the coaching ladder until he was hired as the head coach of the Oakland Raiders in 1998. In his first coaching stint with the Raiders, which lasted until 2001, Gruden led them to a 40-28 record and reached the AFC Championship in 2000.
After his 2001 season, Gruden then took his coaching ability over to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002. Gruden helped turn around the anemic franchise to a 12-4 and led them to Super Bowl XXXVII that season, where he beat his former team (Oakland Raiders) to win the Vince Lombardi trophy.
Check These Out: The Greatest Tom Brady Quotes of All-Time
Gruden was the head coach of the Buccaneers until he was ultimately fired in 2009, despite earning his 100th career victory that season. After being fired by the Bucs, Gruden formed the FFCA (Fired Football Coaches Association) and continued to be a student of the game studying players and schemes while he served as a color analyst for ESPN’s Monday Night Football.
After his stint in broadcasting and nearly 9 years out of coaching in the NFL, Gruden was rehired by the Oakland Raiders on January 6, 2018. Gruden signed a 10-year $100 million coaching contract with Oakland, which was one of the largest coaching contracts ever signed in NFL history. Now he’s back at the helm in his attempt to lead the Raiders to a Super Bowl and bring a winning culture back to the silver and black.
30 Best Jon Gruden Quotes on Winning, Hard Work and Leadership
“I’ve been accused all my life of hating rookies and playing veterans. And, I’m playing 10 rookies right now. What do you have to say to that?” – #30 of the best Jon Gruden quotes
29. “I bet you like sitting at red lights.” – Jon Gruden
28. “It’s going to come down to good, solid execution. You’ve got to knock somebody off the ball when they pretty much know you’re running it. That’s what makes the game great.” – Jon Gruden
27. “We’re not going to let one defeat or two defeats or a negative road trip set us back from our goals. We realize this is a work in progress, this football team. We have a long way to get where we want to be.” – Jon Gruden
26. “You can’t worry about instinct. You have to do what you feel is right at the time – do your homework and make the calls. You have to live with the calls you make and if your heart is in it, at least you feel good at the end of the night, no matter what happens.” – Jon Gruden
25. “I have been accused all my life of hating rookies and playing veterans. And I am playing 10 rookies right now. What do you say to that, America?” – Jon Gruden
24. “Everybody’s going to want to kick my ass, step on me. They can’t wait to talk about what a dumbass I am, and how shitty I was to start with. I know it’s going to happen. And I’m like: Come on!” – Jon Gruden
23. “As long as I’m alive, I know what football gave me. It taught me my work ethic. It gave me a sense of discipline.” – Jon Gruden
22. “I don’t want to look at myself like I’m some superhero. But, I’m not going to let people wipe their football feet on my chest.” – Jon Gruden
21. “You either have the charisma, the knowledge, the passion, the intelligence, or you don’t.” – Jon Gruden
“If you’re a young player out there, put away your Twitter accounts if you want to be a pro football player.” – #20 of the best Jon Gruden quotes
19. “All I ever wanted to do was coach because I know I wasn’t gonna be a player.” – Jon Gruden
18. “I compete with myself. I try to get more done than you. I don’t know why.” – Jon Gruden
17. “All I really have going is football. I don’t know what I’d do without it.” – Jon Gruden
16. “You miss the adversity. The journey is what I’m talking about. Helping a guy get better. Seeing a guy get a contract. And seeing a seventh round choice or a free agent make the team.” – Jon Gruden
15. “Inches matter. That’s why they measure first downs.” – Jon Gruden
14. “You never say never to nothing.” – Jon Gruden
13. “When the season ends, it’s all about the next season.” – Jon Gruden
12. “You have to keep trying to get better” – Jon Gruden
11. “Some people feel pressure; some people don’t.” – Jon Gruden